Racial Stereotypes Replicated in Fantastical Animations

When I was younger and anime came on the cartoon channels, I knew it was time to go to bed. One night, during the vacation, I sat down and watched an episode of a fantasy program of Japanese origin. I was enchanted with the magic, monsters, and overarching storyline I had never seen in an animated show before. As the years went by, and I watched more anime, first on t.v. and then on streaming platforms, I noticed a pattern in the skin color of the anime characters. I realized that this magical world was infused with the prejudices of the world in which I lived. For my mini-ethnographic project, I sought to understand the attitudes Caribbean youths have toward the profiting of racial and cultural stereotyping in some of their favorite anime shows. In the anime programs that I watched, I had made two casual observations that I wanted to explore for my mini-ethnographic project. The first, there were only a few dark-skinned characters and, the second was that the darker-skinned characters were typically evil and lighter-skinned characters were typically good. This presentation replicated the patterns of the modern era that had been entrenched in Trinidad and Tobago also where dark-skinned populations were historically more subordinated economically, politically, socially and culturally than light-skinned populations. There were exceptions to this pattern, I realized of course, but I was shocked to see how blatant this connection between color and moral value was in these shows. 

By Samantha Chu For

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Voices from the Field

Reflections of a Guyanese in Ghana